[Geany-devel] Geanyembrace: Anybody who like to maintain it?
Frank Lanitz
2011-08-25 12:21:21 UTC
Hi folks,

I had a short email conversation with Prim András the original author
of geanyembrace.He did not touch this plugin for quiet a long time and
doesn't plan to do so in future.

Does anybody of you use the plugin and might like to become maintainer?
If not, what we going to do with it?

Cheers,
Frank
http://frank.uvena.de/en/
Matthew Brush
2011-08-26 00:51:06 UTC
Post by Frank Lanitz
Hi folks,
I had a short email conversation with Prim András the original author
of geanyembrace.He did not touch this plugin for quiet a long time and
doesn't plan to do so in future.
Does anybody of you use the plugin and might like to become maintainer?
If not, what we going to do with it?
Is it even a "Geany Plugin"? All I know is the plugins.geany.org page
for it is blank and it's outside of the (real) plugin root directory in
the source tree.

What does it do? I can't really tell from the ReadMe.html in its doc/
directory.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush
Lex Trotman
2011-08-26 01:44:56 UTC
Post by Frank Lanitz
Hi folks,
I had a short email conversation with Prim András the original author
of geanyembrace.He did not touch this plugin for quiet a long time and
doesn't plan to do so in future.
Does anybody of you use the plugin and might like to become maintainer?
If not, what we going to do with it?
Is it even a "Geany Plugin"?  All I know is the plugins.geany.org page for
it is blank and it's outside of the (real) plugin root directory in the
source tree.
What does it do?  I can't really tell from the ReadMe.html in its doc/
directory.
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general. Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.

Cheers
Lex
Cheers,
Matthew Brush
Matthew Brush
2011-08-26 01:56:59 UTC
Post by Lex Trotman
Post by Frank Lanitz
Hi folks,
I had a short email conversation with Prim András the original author
of geanyembrace.He did not touch this plugin for quiet a long time and
doesn't plan to do so in future.
Does anybody of you use the plugin and might like to become maintainer?
If not, what we going to do with it?
Is it even a "Geany Plugin"? All I know is the plugins.geany.org page for
it is blank and it's outside of the (real) plugin root directory in the
source tree.
What does it do? I can't really tell from the ReadMe.html in its doc/
directory.
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general. Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.
Ah.

The geany-zencoding plugin can do this (and much more), though it's not
an official "Geany Plugin".

Personally, I have no interest in maintaining it. Maybe someone could
send a message on the users list asking if anyone even uses it.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush
Lex Trotman
2011-08-26 02:12:55 UTC
[...]
Post by Lex Trotman
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general.  Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.
Ah.
The geany-zencoding plugin can do this (and much more), though it's not an
official "Geany Plugin".
Why not :-)

But zencoding does have an external dependency that embrace does not.
Personally, I have no interest in maintaining it.  Maybe someone could send
a message on the users list asking if anyone even uses it.
Yes, I guess this points to the fact that we might need a plugin
deprecation process, IIUC there are several plugins that don't get
much love.

Cheers
Lex
Matthew Brush
2011-08-26 02:33:48 UTC
Post by Lex Trotman
[...]
Post by Lex Trotman
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general. Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.
Ah.
The geany-zencoding plugin can do this (and much more), though it's not an
official "Geany Plugin".
Why not :-)
Mostly because I like using real Git and having it on GitHub. Also,
it's a pain having a plugin with it's own autotools and GP autotools
build systems mixed, at least as far as I've figured out.
Post by Lex Trotman
But zencoding does have an external dependency that embrace does not.
Who doesn't have Python? :) (ok, windows guys, but still...)
Post by Lex Trotman
Personally, I have no interest in maintaining it. Maybe someone could send
a message on the users list asking if anyone even uses it.
Yes, I guess this points to the fact that we might need a plugin
deprecation process, IIUC there are several plugins that don't get
much love.
Good idea.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush
Lex Trotman
2011-08-26 02:53:43 UTC
[...]
Post by Lex Trotman
Why not :-)
Mostly because I like using real Git and having it on GitHub.  Also, it's a
pain having a plugin with it's own autotools and GP autotools build systems
mixed, at least as far as I've figured out.
Ahh, dear old autofools .... ya gotta hate it.

Still you could get it listed on the website as an external plugin
like embrace and keep your bespoke methods.
(And ref our other thread, you have tested it on all permutations of
Linux & windows, 32 and 64 bit, X86, Atom and Arm? ;-)
Post by Lex Trotman
But zencoding does have an external dependency that embrace does not.
Who doesn't have Python?  :)  (ok, windows guys, but still...)
I was thinking of zencoding itself :-) but since you mention Python...

Cheers
Lex
Matthew Brush
2011-08-26 02:58:29 UTC
Post by Lex Trotman
[...]
Post by Lex Trotman
Why not :-)
Mostly because I like using real Git and having it on GitHub. Also, it's a
pain having a plugin with it's own autotools and GP autotools build systems
mixed, at least as far as I've figured out.
Ahh, dear old autofools .... ya gotta hate it.
Still you could get it listed on the website as an external plugin
like embrace and keep your bespoke methods.
(And ref our other thread, you have tested it on all permutations of
Linux& windows, 32 and 64 bit, X86, Atom and Arm? ;-)
Nope, just Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04 myself, others have used it with
Fedora from what I gather.
Post by Lex Trotman
Post by Lex Trotman
But zencoding does have an external dependency that embrace does not.
Who doesn't have Python? :) (ok, windows guys, but still...)
I was thinking of zencoding itself :-) but since you mention Python...
Zencoding isn't a dependency as the python scripts are included with the
plugin. Since Geany can not support Python (yet) I had to embed the
Python interpreter.

Cheers,
Matthew Brush
Enrico Tröger
2011-08-27 11:07:39 UTC
On Fri, 26 Aug 2011 11:44:56 +1000, Lex wrote:

Hey,
Post by Lex Trotman
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general. Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.
the lists are searchable on
http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.editors.geany. Not as nice
as some builtin search in the list archives directly but it works at
least.

Regards,
Enrico
Lex Trotman
2011-08-27 11:43:37 UTC
Post by Enrico Tröger
Hey,
Post by Lex Trotman
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general.  Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.
the lists are searchable on
http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.editors.geany. Not as nice
as some builtin search in the list archives directly but it works at
least.
Hey Enrico,

Ahhh, the Geany website only points to the user list there, not devel.

Cheers
Lex
Enrico Tröger
2011-08-27 17:24:46 UTC
Post by Lex Trotman
Post by Enrico Tröger
Hey,
Post by Lex Trotman
IIRC its wraps (embraces?) things with optional text, targeted at XML
open/close tags but general.  Sadly the Geany devel ML isn't
searchable to find the initial discussions.
the lists are searchable on
http://dir.gmane.org/index.php?prefix=gmane.editors.geany. Not as
nice as some builtin search in the list archives directly but it
works at least.
Hey Enrico,
Ahhh, the Geany website only points to the user list there, not devel.
Fixed on the website and I also added a Gmane link to the mailman list
information page on
https://lists.uvena.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/geany-devel.

And I did the same for the geany-i18n list.

Lex, thanks for the notice.

Regards,
Enrico
Frank Lanitz
2011-08-27 16:15:36 UTC
On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 14:21:21 +0200
Post by Frank Lanitz
Hi folks,
I had a short email conversation with Prim András the original author
of geanyembrace.He did not touch this plugin for quiet a long time and
doesn't plan to do so in future.
Does anybody of you use the plugin and might like to become
maintainer? If not, what we going to do with it?
As it appears nobody wants to take it over and I've got the ok of the
original author I will purge it from current trunk soonish. However, if
somebody is having interested in maintaining it, the source will be
still available in history of svn :)

Cheers,
Frank
http://frank.uvena.de/en/
Frank Lanitz
2011-08-27 17:31:02 UTC
Post by Frank Lanitz
Hi folks,
I had a short email conversation with Prim András the original
author of geanyembrace.He did not touch this plugin for quiet a
long time and doesn't plan to do so in future.
Does anybody of you use the plugin and might like to become
maintainer? If not, what we going to do with it?
As it appears nobody wants to take it over and I've got the ok of the
original author I will purge it from current trunk soonish. However,
if somebody is having interested in maintaining it, the source will be
still available in history of svn :)
Done with svn r2173.

Cheers,
Frank