[Geany-Devel] OSX ports?
Chris H
2016-10-10 06:00:11 UTC
Greetings,
Sorry if this has been asked in the past. I've attempted to find similar topics in the
list archive. But to no avail. The link on Geany's MailingList page (http://news.gmane.org/gmane.editors.geany.devel)
to search the archives returns 404.
So my question is; are there any issues building on OSX? I'm currently maintaining over 100 ports on FreeBSD,
and use Geany for most of my work, but have recently taken an interest in OSX, and now feel handicapped without
it (Geany). While I see that you provide a link to an OSX dmg image for OSX, It's 64bit only, and is limited to

Lex Trotman

Chris H
2016-10-10 06:09:55 UTC
Quoting Chris H :
Apologies, my mailer truncated my message...
Post by Chris H
Greetings,
Sorry if this has been asked in the past. I've attempted to find similar topics in the
list archive. But to no avail. The link on Geany's MailingList page
(http://news.gmane.org/gmane.editors.geany.devel)
to search the archives returns 404.
So my question is; are there any issues building on OSX? I'm currently
maintaining over 100 ports on FreeBSD,
and use Geany for most of my work, but have recently taken an interest in
OSX, and now feel handicapped without
it (Geany). While I see that you provide a link to an OSX dmg image for
OSX, It's 64bit only, and is limited to
10.7 or greater. What I'd like to do, is create a universal binary that coveres the
whole gambit (10.*). So I guess my question is;
1) Does Geany compile on OSX out of the box?
2) If not, is there already any work on this I might expand on, rather than re-invent the wheel?
FWIW I evaluated MacPorts, but found it less than ideal, and upon further evaluation, found
HomeBrew a better candidate.

Thank you for all your time, and consideration.

--Chris
Lex Trotman
2016-10-10 06:15:30 UTC
Post by Chris H
[...]
Have to leave those detailed questiosn for the OSX maintainer.

On gmane, its front page says:

"We're going through a complete rebuild, so some things are very
broken. Please see our blog at http://home.gmane.org/ for news."

and most of the editors pages are broken ATM.
Enrico Tröger
2016-10-11 20:55:24 UTC
Hi,
Post by Lex Trotman
Post by Chris H
Post by Chris H
[...]
We had this topic already about a year ago:
http://devel.geany.narkive.com/niAqeADi/geany-devel-searchable-email-archives

but didn't do anything.
I see a few options:

a) do nothing and hope Gmane will come back by itself
b) switch the search boxes on the website to Narkive
c) find another cool mailing list archive provider which we all love
d) do not provide any search box on the website but instead something
like "search the net with your favorite search provider"

(I do not want to integrate a Google search on the website.)

Regards,
Enrico
Jiří Techet
2016-10-11 22:14:52 UTC
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris H
Greetings,
Sorry if this has been asked in the past. I've attempted to find similar topics in the
list archive. But to no avail. The link on Geany's MailingList page
(http://news.gmane.org/gmane.editors.geany.devel)
to search the archives returns 404.
So my question is; are there any issues building on OSX? I'm currently
maintaining over 100 ports on FreeBSD,
and use Geany for most of my work, but have recently taken an interest in
OSX, and now feel handicapped without
it (Geany). While I see that you provide a link to an OSX dmg image for
OSX, It's 64bit only, and is limited to
10.7 or greater. What I'd like to do, is create a universal binary that coveres the
whole gambit (10.*). So I guess my question is;
1) Does Geany compile on OSX out of the box?
No, it doesn't. Geany depends on GTK and transitively on lots of other open
source libraries which aren't part of OS X. It's not enough to build just
Geany - you have to build all these dependencies and add them into the
bundle.

I use

https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX

to build Geany and make a bundle. Geany has also been extended with the
"integration" part to better integrate to OS X to support things like
global menus etc. The detailed build process is described here:

https://github.com/geany/geany-osx

OS X 10.7 is by default the oldest version supported by GTK-OSX but I
believe there's some way to support older systems too (I believe there was
some problem with changed binary format and linking). The question is
whether supporting such old systems is worth it - OS X 10.7 isn't supported
even by Apple and doesn't receive security patches and IMO nobody should
use it.

Building 386 binaries is somehow possible too with GTK-OSX but again, we
are talking about 10 year old computers running unsupported operating
system versions. Besides, this would about double the bundle size (which
currently is about 60MB because all the dependencies have to be inside) and
in addition I don't have to any 386 Mac to test which is why I decided not
to support these.
Post by Chris H
2) If not, is there already any work on this I might expand on, rather
than re-invent the wheel?
FWIW I evaluated MacPorts, but found it less than ideal, and upon further evaluation, found
HomeBrew a better candidate.
Neither MacPorts nor HomeBrew are suitable - I tried both. The problem is
you don't want to create just a command-line version of the app - you want
it to behave like a standard GUI application with global menu, clickable
icon in the launcher, being able to drag files to the icon to open them
etc. These things aren't possible with MacPorts or HomeBrew (in addition I
believe HomeBrew doesn't have GTK built with Quartz backend and only
provides X backend so there's no support of retina displays).

For MacPorts Geany version there's a wiki page here

https://wiki.geany.org/howtos/osx/running

There's no similar description for HomeBrew but from what I tried, it runs
fine but with the mentioned X backend and all the limitations above.

Cheers,

Jiri
Chris H
2016-10-12 17:19:28 UTC
Post by Jiří Techet
Hi Chris,
Post by Chris H
[...]
Sure, of course. I just wondered that if I already had all the headers, and source
available (via Homebrew/Xcode), that it might "just work". :-)
Post by Jiří Techet
I use
https://wiki.gnome.org/Projects/GTK+/OSX
Yea, I checked that out, as well. But already available through Homebrew.
Post by Jiří Techet
to build Geany and make a bundle. Geany has also been extended with the
"integration" part to better integrate to OS X to support things like
https://github.com/geany/geany-osx
Caught that.
Post by Jiří Techet
OS X 10.7 is by default the oldest version supported by GTK-OSX but I
believe there's some way to support older systems too (I believe there was
some problem with changed binary format and linking). The question is
whether supporting such old systems is worth it - OS X 10.7 isn't supported
even by Apple and doesn't receive security patches and IMO nobody should
use it.
Building 386 binaries is somehow possible too with GTK-OSX but again, we
are talking about 10 year old computers running unsupported operating
system versions. Besides, this would about double the bundle size (which
currently is about 60MB because all the dependencies have to be inside) and
in addition I don't have to any 386 Mac to test which is why I decided not
to support these.
Sure. I get that (old system...). But IMHO more was lost, than gained in the
the newer versions (of OSX). I'm also quite savvy with all the underpinnings
of OSX, and had no trouble upgrading, or otherwise patching the system to
be (at least) as safe, and stable, as the latest version. :-)
It also runs *quite* nicely at 64bit. The only issues I've encountered, is
with applications that claim to be 64bit exclusive, and simply fail to start,
because they're *not*. Firefox, is a good example. But since it's a UB, I
simply ticked the 32bit box, and it then runs w/o issue.
Post by Jiří Techet
Post by Chris H
2) If not, is there already any work on this I might expand on, rather
than re-invent the wheel?
FWIW I evaluated MacPorts, but found it less than ideal, and upon further
evaluation, found
HomeBrew a better candidate.
Neither MacPorts nor HomeBrew are suitable - I tried both. The problem is
you don't want to create just a command-line version of the app - you want
it to behave like a standard GUI application with global menu, clickable
icon in the launcher, being able to drag files to the icon to open them
etc. These things aren't possible with MacPorts or HomeBrew (in addition I
believe HomeBrew doesn't have GTK built with Quartz backend and only
provides X backend so there's no support of retina displays).
I didn't look to see when it was added, but the (OSX GUI) applications I've
built with it so, all support the Quartz available, and running on my box.
I don't want to sound the least bit argumentative, but I've already built
several OSX GUI's through Homebrew, and they all provide the standard
OSX dialogs, and Menu options. Maybe things have changed since you've
last tried it? :-)
Post by Jiří Techet
For MacPorts Geany version there's a wiki page here
https://wiki.geany.org/howtos/osx/running
There's no similar description for HomeBrew but from what I tried, it runs
fine but with the mentioned X backend and all the limitations above.
I've cobbled up a Homebrew "formulae" for Geany. I imagine I'll have
additional work to do to it, before it's "just right", and works on every
version of OSX. Not to mention, I come from an Assembler, C, Perl,
JavaScript, CSS, Shell, background. So Ruby is new territory for me. But
I'll run it up the flag pole, and report my findings. Hopefully, you, or
someone else on this list, might be able to assist me. :-)

Thanks again, Jiří, for taking the time to respond!

--Chris
Post by Jiří Techet
Cheers,
Jiri
Jiří Techet
2016-10-14 22:57:03 UTC
Post by Jiří Techet
Post by Jiří Techet
Post by Jiří Techet
Post by Jiří Techet
Post by Jiří Techet
to support these.
Sure. I get that (old system...). But IMHO more was lost, than gained in the
the newer versions (of OSX).
What exactly was lost? I'm not aware of any feature removals and the
security of the OS has been improved a lot over the recent years. And from
what I can say, stability too.
I'm also quite savvy with all the underpinnings
of OSX, and had no trouble upgrading, or otherwise patching the system to
be (at least) as safe, and stable, as the latest version. :-)
Wow, that's quite a claim. Even though the kernel sources are available, I
seriously doubt you backport the security fixes from the latest kernels and
recompile the old kernel. For all the remaining stuff like system
frameworks and various daemons you'd have to use assembly and somehow write
the security-related patches in it (the only place I saw someone doing this
was Angela Bennett in "The Net" movie). The "at least" part is even more
interesting as you seem to be even improving the system this way.

Unless you do the above, you are pretty much vulnerable to various attacks.
Post by Jiří Techet
believe HomeBrew doesn't have GTK built with Quartz backend and only
provides X backend so there's no support of retina displays).
I didn't look to see when it was added, but the (OSX GUI) applications I've
built with it so, all support the Quartz available, and running on my box.
OK, good to know.
I don't want to sound the least bit argumentative, but I've already built
several OSX GUI's through Homebrew, and they all provide the standard
OSX dialogs, and Menu options.
I can't imagine how it could create the global menubar (I bet it's attached
at the top of the window) - this is something that the application has to
do. Also how do you handle the launcher icon? It surely runs from the
command-line but from what I remember, there's no easy way to create a
natively working launcher (there usually appears a console icon instead and
it works in a bit non-standard way). How is it with file associations which
are normally stored in the Info.plist file in a bundle?

Is it possible to create a bundle containing all the dependencies to create
a self-contained app installer with homebrew? Is it possible to add gtk
themes this way, additional libraries (needed for Geany plugins) and other
files? If you decide to create a bundle note that you'll have to patch VTE
as its configurable files are not relocatable - the patches I created for
this are here

https://github.com/geany/geany-osx/tree/master/patches

Even though I don't like jhbuild at all, I'm slightly skeptical you'll be
able to create native-enough behaving version of Geany using homebrew. But
definitely let me know about the progress.

Cheers,

Jiri